Exec Comm Meeting June 2nd

Stringer Reserve (John Stevenson; Rob Koller):

Following the Council meeting and approval, the Shire has issued a Public Notice re the offer of a 10-year lease. Notice to run to June 18th. A formal lease will be issued after this period.
John, Rob and Brian working through various design/construction options, including potential trade involvement. Aiming to have some options to review and cost by the end of the public notice period. Discussion to continue with Blairgowrie Community Garden.
No immediate Federal or State Govt Funding – Terry to contact both to see if options are being considered.

Kitchen Update (Brian Stacey): 

1st meeting held last week involving 9 Men’s shed members. Wide-ranging requirements, directions and concerns raised at this initial meeting. Brian presented the minutes from that meeting. Members to return June 3rd to review their individual preferred designs.
Concern raised over the short term tenure still applying at the Hangar. With this in mind, there was a desire to look at “mobile” components in any design. 

Welfare Grant (Graham Goudie; John Crough):

Funds will be paid into the Men’s Shed account by the end of June.
The comprehensive report provided detailing how the team intend to use the funds, including supporting measures to required under COVID-19 restrictions.
AMSA posters will be used where appropriate around the building.
Defib for the Mobile Workshop on order, First Aid kit ordered, Santiser/disinfectant ordered. First Aid Courses to be booked. An allocation set aside to help purchase a BBQ (John Peters to coordinate the search on this one).
Personal protection gear deemed to be the responsibility of the individual members. We have approached Bunnings for some additional safety gears – disposable earplugs, safety vests. 
Recommending we all install the COVID SAFE app.

Returning to the Shed:

A review of the easing of restrictions was done and recommendations made re an organised return to the Shed.
Graham and John have extended their involvement to be “Hygiene Officers” – “must-do” role for Men’s Sheds. 
Looking at a quote for a team of cleaners to come to the Shed to formally sanitise the Shed before a full meeting of Members.
Looking at a return perhaps Thursday 25th June, with a mobile coffee cart present to avoid congestion around the kitchen area. Terry to confirm his availability.
Still concerns over managing the numbers at our regular meetings and the Friday social gatherings. 


A reminder of the guidelines for “Safety Officers” on all projects requested. Terry to send a copy to Members.
Rye Primary Bike Program (James Rennie) still locked out by school restrictions. Hoping to restart middle of Term 3 and into Term 4. Looking to have a roster system to support James on this one. The current list of names to be used.
Help a Mate (John Peters): more requests have been submitted. The program is becoming popular.
Luncheon Club (John Peters): looking to restart planning for the 1st lunch, perhaps on Wednesday, July 1st.
Blairgowrie Community Garden (Brian Stacey): Garden benches are ready to install. A number of projects are being planned at the BCG which could entail men’s Shed involvement. 
Sorrento Skate Park (Brian Stacey): the Shire has approved this work, the potential for Men’s shed involvement in landscaping options.
Portsea Golf Club (Rob Koller): work requests keep coming. The latest cleaning of decking involved 6 members. Potential for more work impacted by the possible appointment of a maintenance manager on site.
Computer Cafe/3D printing (Terry Phippen): Hugh Irvine has the printer; David Mc to build a frame; then install at the Hangar. Need to define a few “projects” to make use of this.

Any Other Business:

Leadership group positions: it has been raised that we consider a rotation of members in the managing positions. A 3-yr term was suggested for these. This to be a “house rule” rather than a change to the constitution.
Treasurer: Derek will become president at the Sorrento Rotary and would like to stand down from the Men’s Shed treasurer role. Looking to find an “accountant” in the member group to take over.
Hangar Lease (Terry Phippen): we will keep in contact with the Shire officers to gain a longer tenure commitment. In the meantime, we will encourage other member activities in the Hangar to highlight greater use of the facility.

Leave a Reply